This recipe is also called the reverse sear.
Cooking your steak this way gives you a perfect inside temperature throughout the steak.
With the SMOkettle, your kettle will act like an oven with the benefit of delicious smoke flavor.
The Perfect Steak!
The Set Up:
- Minimum 1” Thick Steaks
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive oil
- Light full chimney of charcoal.
- When coals are 75 percent white, dump into grill.
- Add a small chunk of smoke wood.
- Add SMOkettle and place grill on top.
- When temperature reaches 275F - 300F - adjust all vents (top and bottom) to halfway open.
- Add good coating of salt- (more than you think)
- Add good coating of pepper
- Coat steaks with olive oil
Place steaks on grill and cook at 275F degrees until you are within 5-10 degrees of your desired temperature.
Check steaks every 15 min. with good instant read thermometer!
Use this Steak Chart for 'your' Temperature... (115F rare - 160F well done)
If you want a Medium rare steak, cook with the SMOkettle until you reach 116-121 degrees (121F + 5F = 126F)
- Temporarily remove steaks from grill.
- Remove SMOkettle from grill
- Return steaks to grill and cook over direct coals to get a nice crust... 5 min MAX!!
The Steaks will now hit your perfect temperature.