Basic Whole Chicken
- 2.5 - 3 pound Whole Chicken
- Cajun Seasonings
- Brown Sugar
Cook Temp: 300-325 degrees
Cook Time: Cook to internal temperature of 160 degrees measured in the breast.
Dry Smoke = NO WATER in SMOkettle.
Cover SMOkettle with foil for reuse.
- Clean chicken and cut off excess fat and skin.
- Make a rub of 2 parts cajun seasonings and 1 part brown sugar.
- Inject chicken with half of this rub mixed with some water.
- Dust and pat the chicken with the remaining rub.
1. Put about 70 briquets of charcoal in chimney and light.
2. Dump coals into kettle once they are 75% white.
3. Add 2-3 small chunks of wood.
4. Drop SMOkettle onto tabs.
5. Add grill grate.
6. Adjust top vent to halfway open.
7. Adjust bottom vents to halfway close... :-)
8. Kettle will settle in to around 300 degrees.
9. Add your chicken, close up kettle and no peaking.
10. After 60 minutes - check the chicken with an instant read thermometer.
11. Add your favorite BBQ sauce after chicken reaches 160 degrees in the breast.
(Optional: Remove Smokettle to 'carmelize' sauce on chicken)